Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: sudden allergy

mrs y - Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:09 pm

I have a kidney infection, and had been taking codine for pain for the last two days, and just today started a new antibiotic macrobid, as the culture showed it to be the best for the infecting agent. The problem is that I have just come down with hives this evening. My question is: can I all of a sudden develope an allergic reaction to the pain med even if I have been on it for a couple days or is this most likely a reaction to the antibiotic I just started this early afternoon?

Thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:48 am

User avatar Hello,There are two types of allergies.One is IgE mediated and occuring after several days after the medication.The other which is not a true allergy caused by direct stimulation of cells known as mast cells, especially by codeine.Your reaction could be due to codeine rather than the antibiotic.Best to go in for a non opiate analgesic and stop the antibiotic too.