Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Is bacitracin ok?

FearfuL - Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:22 pm

I just read somewhere that bacitracin was toxic, so now it's only good for topical use.

"Bacitracin is toxic to humans and is no longer used internally."

In one of the other topics, Rntdj said topical stuff is absorbed through the skin though, right? I don't really get how it all works, but if I'm using this stuff (on my boob) for about two weeks (I've been advised to), is there anything wrong with that? I don't want toxins like that in my body.

It is OTC though.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:31 pm

Bacitracin is usually combined with Neomycin as a topical preparation for superficial bacterial infections of skin. When used for this purpose, it is safe.

To minimise the development of resistant organisms, it is advisable to limit the choice of antibacterials applied topically to those not used systemically. As Bacitracin is not manufactured or available for systemic use, this makes it ideal for topical use.

Are you using a preparation that contains Bacitracin only, or as a combination with another topical antibiotic?

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 FearfuL - Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:59 pm

Hi, Dr. Solomon.

The ointment I'm using is just Bacitracin with its only active labeled ingredient being bacitracin zinc.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:13 pm

It is non-toxic when used topically, but antibacterial effects are broader and better when combined with Neomycin.

Dr Anthony Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us