Question: Used a cream that's now being considered for black box label

FearfuL - Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:08 am

There's been reports that Protopic is being considered for a black box label because of risk of skin cancer and lymphoma. There were some post marketing reports of "cancer related adverse affects". Now, I only used this ointment (around my lip) last week for a couple of days. Literally just a couple.

What are the chances that I'm affected by this? Slim to none?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:03 pm

Tacrolimus (marketed under the name of Protopic) is licensed for topical use in moderate to severe atopic eczema.

It is a new drug whose long-term safety and place in therapy is still being evaluated. It should therefore not be considered as first-line treatment unless there is a specific reason to avoid or reduce the use of topical steroids.

There is no reason to be worried if you used it for a few days.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine