Question: Lipoid Acid

Anonymous - Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:23 pm

Is Lipoic Acid as good as is suggested ? It is claimed to be a universal antioxidant that nobody can afford to be without. I'm Type 1 diabetic and would be very interested to hear if it would be beneficial to me or is this just a big fad !
 Anonymous - Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:25 pm

Dear Gaffney,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Lipoic acid is a proven anti-oxidants but it only against certain types of oxidants and not all of them.

It has been used for lots of things and has been studied for many years.

For diabetics, it was found that it can improve insulin utilization by the cells only if given intravenous. In europe, it is used for control of treatment of the symptoms of neuropathy as it was found that it improves the symptoms of the patients who have diabetes neuropathy.

In my opinion, patients can take it as it has not been associated with major side effects and the side effects that could happen is skin rash. Pregant women should not take it and if the patient is suspected to be thiamine deficient, thiamine deficiency should be corrected before it is given because of major side effects.

If you would like to take it, i suggest that you consult with personal physician to see what he thinks about it.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and hope this has helped.

OUBETA - Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:58 pm

ALA has been used as a glucose uptake enhancer to help prevent of diabetes for a while. I take it to
I'm no doc, but there are two different types of ALA, the most common ALA and the hard to find R-ALA or racematic.

Here is a link to the new kind that has hit ht emarket. Trust me it is great.

Click here!