Question: Is it safe to take year old Adderall XR?

Tiverty - Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 am

A year ago when I went up and started college, I self medicated myself off of my Adderall prescription which I had been taking most of my life as I was not noticing any benefit from the drug (needless to say my doctor was concerned as I had quit "cold turkey"). However this year up at college I decided to give Adderall another try and see if it would give me the benefits it was not seeming to give me a year ago.

I started up last Wednesday (10/21/09), however I started up with a bottle of about 130 of them I had left over from last year that is outdated about a year. Immediately I noticed I was able to focus a little better. I was also excited for the side effect that I never had before, of having no appetite (as I am obese, weighing roughtly about 400lb).

My few questions are, is it safe to be taking out of date adderall of about a year? Is there a way for me to keep my loss of appetite side effect as it will help me a lot now that I am working out?

Little more information, my doctor does not know I have started up again, and my current dosage that I am taking is 40mg in the form of 2 20mg pills a day in the morning (which I feel I need to take more for better effect as I'm heaver than I was when I was last prescribed).
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 pm

It is probably not a safety concern. In most drugs, time may decrease the effectiveness but only rarely does it actually cause problems. If this is helping you it would be wise to consult a doctor so you can get the prescription as needed in the correct dosage. However, this is not a drug that is weight-determined. Body size does not seem to matter when prescribing this medication. Some adults need much less than some children. It all depends on the individual response. Adult ADD does occur and you very likely will benefit from treatment.