Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Ambien and Vicodin

paradive - Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:05 pm

i've been prescribed both but i recently read that the combination (i don't recall what amount. it was about Ambien and opiates. isn't Vicodin an opiate?) could be fatal. is this true?
the Vicodin i'm on is 10/100. don't know about the Ambien. my girlfriend and i are having an argument that if i screw up and take 10 Vicodin (around the same time i take the Ambien), i'll die but i'm under the impression it would take a lot Lot LOT more.
thoughts?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:23 am

User avatar Hello,
It would not be fatal in standard doses but there is moderate severity of interaction between the two drugs and you should avoid operating machinery when taking them, monitor yourself for adverse effects such as slurred speech, confusion, severe weakness, or difficulty breathing (contact a doctor immediately if you have these symptoms) and don't use the two together if you can avoid it as it will likely make you very drowsy.

Best wishes.
 rhoebe - Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:34 am

I have been taking Ambien for my insomnia as it was prescribed by my doctor. I bought it at medsheaven.com. It has changed my mood also because I have been getting sleep. My doctor reminded me to take note of any lapse in memory and not allowed to operate heavy machineries.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:25 pm

User avatar I would not expect problems with Ambien alone with the recommendations your doctor has told you, but adding a strong narcotic pain reliever like Vicodin can multiply the risks related to drowsiness.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us