Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: What amounts of tylenol will cause liver failure or death

Sgtswife - Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:32 am

I've been taking norco 10/325 for the last 6-8 weeks. The past week has been really painful for me; I have a pretty severe back injury. I was taking 1 tablet every 4-6 hours, now I take at least 2 tabs about every 3 hours, and I was supplementing with an over the counter pain reliever, taking 2 at a time. I didn't realize it was acetaminophen, 500 mg. so I've been taking a lot of acetaminophen and am really scared that I've hurt myself. I have no symptoms really....a little nausea on occasion, but no vomiting or abdominal pain. What else would I look for? Is it likely that I'm poisining myself? How much does it really take for a fatal overdose?
 Rachel Johnson, LPN - Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:54 am

The limit for acetaminophen is 4g/day, which is 4000mg/day. And it depends on your liver function as to how long it would take to be fatal. You should never supplement you presciption pain meds with over the counter pain meds unless a doctor instructs you to (like acetaminophen and ibuprofen for fever). I doubt you have done any harm to your liver but you should stop taking the extra tylenol with your norco prescription now. Just take your prescription as prescribed and your liver should be ok.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us