Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Chewed a film-coated mephaquin tablet throat burns for 5days

djambo101 - Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:58 am

I am on a trip to kenya for 3 weeks. I had been given a mephaquin tablet to prevent malaria, but no instructions to go with. So i chewed the tablet i had been given because i didnt have water close to me. After swallowing it my throat started burning and i got something to drink around 5 minutes after. but since then my throat burns anything i could do to improve my situation?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:11 am

User avatar Hello,Coating the tablet is done not only for elegance and ease of swallowing but to prevent the bitter or irritant medication to come in contact with mucous membranes like of the throat.More important is to modify the drug release profile.Examples are enteric coatings and delivery of the drug in pulses.By chewing these mechanisms get altered and the drug may not act at optimal levels.Apart from this bitterness if it is there would be felt and chances of gastric irritation becomes more.So you should swallow as a single piece and should not break it or chew it.
For the damage done salt water gargling may help.It would be some time before recovery would set in.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:41 am

Just a bit of additional information! Mefloquine is recommended for travelers in Tanzania who are planning to stay in a malaria endemic zone for longer than one month. Mefloquine's reputation has been tarnished as it can cause serious side effects such as anxiety and hallucinations. Fortunately, these are rare. More common minor side effects are disturbed sleep and intense dreams. The drug is contra-indicated in individuals with a history of depression, anxiety or epilepsy.
Good luck!