Question: Can antidepressants block opiate receptors?

bprincipe - Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:40 am

I am currently taking 5mg of Abilify daily, and I was also prescribed hydrocodone/acetamenophen (7.5/750mg per tablet) for tooth pain. The pain medication that has always worked for me in the past is not working. Is this due to the Abilify?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Hello, bprincipe,

Abilify is known to block or modulate some opiate effects. If any medication is ineffective, contact the prescribing doctor right away so that he or she may prescribe an alternate medication or dosage. I hope this information is helpful to you, and that your doctor is successful in addressing your tooth pain. Good luck to you.