Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: pill splitting PROSCAR for hairloss ?

souled_out - Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:04 pm

Due to the fact that proscar is an odd shaped 5mg pill and I want to only take 1mg daily, this is the route I have been taking;

I dissolve the pill in 10mL of water and use a syringe with a 10mL measurement. This way I can administer 2 mL's of the solution each morning giving me 1mg of the drug. When I administer the drug I shake the syringe to make sure the particles are distribute evenly throughout the solution. I store the syringe in the refrigerator between doses.

Can someone let me know if this method will damage the effect of the drug. The concern is that the drug is broken down and in water for 5 days. I wonder if this has an effect chemically speaking.

I have been using it for a little over a month and seem to be shedding an awful lot so I belive it is possibly working....

please give input
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:42 am

The dosage you obtain from 2ml of finasteride by dissolving a 5mg tablet in 10ml of water is assumed to be 1mg on the first day, but storage of the solution over 5 days may reduce the efficacy of the drug.

The 5mg formulation of finasteride that you are using is manufactured for use in benign prostatic hypertrophy and sold under the trade name of PROSCAR.

For male pattern baldness, the same company manufactures 1mg tablets sold under the name of PROPECIA. This is what you should be using to deliver the correct dosage for your condition.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine