Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Cymbalta

CinamonCKP - Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:00 pm

I am a nursing student and recently I during one of my clinicals my patient was on a drug called Cymbalta. It wasn't in my drug guide. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on just what is Cymbalta, what is it for? What class of drug is it considered to be....etc. Any information would help.

Thanks

-Cinamon
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:11 am

Cymbalta, generic name duloxetine hydrochloride, is used in the treatment of major depression and diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain.
It belongs to the class of drugs known as selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SSNRI).
It is not approved for use in paediatric patients. I hope this information is helpful.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 CinamonCKP - Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:21 am

Thank you so much, that was just what I was looking for. Do you know of any side effects that this drug may have?

Once again Thanks

-Cinamon
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:25 pm

The most common side-effect is nausea, which for most people, usually subsides within two weeks. Other common side effects are dry mouth, constipation, decreased appetite, fatigue, sleepiness, and increased sweating.

I wish you success in your nursing studies and a Happy Easter.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 CinamonCKP - Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:59 pm

Thank You so much. I appreciate all the information. It has helped me a lot.

Thanks
-Cinamon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us