Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Safe taper off Soma

curious1998 - Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:08 pm

Hello......

Could someone please help me with this. I have tried everywhere to get some advice.
I take Soma for back problems, the only problem is I have been taking more than I should. I have tried to stop taking and feel very strange when I stop the meds.

I am taking around 10 per day. Going thru a detox is not an option for me. I cannot tell my Doc. about this, as I have other issues and do not want to lose him as my Doctor.

If I try tapering very slowly will this work? Thank you for being so understanding. I do know I cannot stop this drug cold turkey, as I could have a seizure.
Is there something else I could try to ease some of the discomfort coming off this drug.

Thanks again!

curious
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:33 am

User avatar Hi curious1998,
Abrupt discontinuation of Soma should absolutely not be done. Tapering is recommended only under a physicians guidance. I would suggest that you approach your doctor in a manner that would allow you to voice your concerns about impeding or current dependecy and allow him/her to assist you.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us