Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: How nasty is caffiene?....

cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:53 am

When I drink a cup of tea (even worse coffee), I go hyper and I mean I feel wide awake raring to go... If I have one at night I can't sleep.

Unfortunately I find this quite addictive and used to drink this all day long until the afternoon I would be tired and irratible as I guess my adrenal glands got tired....

Now I drink 1 cup of tea in the morning (to wake me up) but I know this is wrong and I shouldn't be drinking something to wake me up in the morning.

I'm thining of stopping completely, but was wondering what a doctor/experts view of caffiene is as I've heard so many stories?...

Personally I think it's an evil, all these fizzy drinks etc full of caffiene, is it's purpose to increase work production?... Feeling a bit tired, have a cup of coffee or tea!... Surely that can't be right?...
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:25 am

User avatar Hi cinders,
According to the food and drug administration caffiene has been classified as being generally recognized as safe (used in moderation). Common sense is the key. People generally differ in their sensitivity to caffiene where one person may be able to drink several cups of coffee or tea etc. and notice no effects where others may feel it's effects after one cup. It may increase alertness in tired individuals but may also affect sleep. However, again moderation and common sense is the key with caffiene as with everything else.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us