Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Allergy to erythromycin, what is the alternative?

 JoeBlack - Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:07 am

My wife was recently diagnosed and prescibed zithromax with multiple pills for a short period... I see that this could be for either Trichomoniasis or Bacterial Vaginitus; having only been with her, and not wanting to suggest an STD to her; I read that both partners should be treated for either vaginal condition.. I had an allergy to Metronidazole in a cream when treated for Rosacea and am highly allergic to erythromycin to which zithromax is related

is clindamycin or perhaps Cipro an alternative for either problem? I have taken these before.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Hello JoeBlack,

Zithromax is prescribed for a variety of pelvic diseases; since you appear somewhat unsure of the actual diagnosis and in consideration of your allergy, you should consider using condoms until you've received review and advice from your physician. It's true that both partners should be treated in many of the pelvic diseases. Cipro would probably not be the drug of choice as it is not specific for such conditions. Clindamycin might be appropriate, again depending on the actual diagnosis. The very best approach is to contact your doctor at your earliest opportunity to discuss the most appropriate treatment. Good luck to both you and your wife, and I hope this information is useful to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us