Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Tattoo removal using hydroquinone?

c21frannie - Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:36 pm

I have done a lot of research on the tattoo removal topic! I just recently started scrubbing my tattoo with apricot scrub and then rubbing hydroquinon (2%) over the tattoo. I then cover it with plastic wrap & place an ace bandage over it. I do this 2x a day & wear it all day & while sleeping. I took several digital pics before I started my self-treatment. It does seem to have lightened very little. My question is on all of the "laser" information I have found no informationin regards to hydroquinone as a treatment for getting rid of tattoos. However there are a couple of companys with "fade away" creams. (which hydroquinone is the active indgredient). Do you know if hydroquinone will over time lighten a tattoo? I know it removes pigmentation so will it remove ink? I am hoping to go to a dermatologist and get a prescription of 7% hydroquinone. Any information you have on this subject is appreciated?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:08 pm

On prolonged and excessive exposure, this drug is considered to be carcinogenic.
Avoid it.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us