Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Emergency Contraception under 15

Frekvenz - Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi there. My cousin has had "accidental" unprotected sex with some guy. She is 13 and I went out and got her some Emergency Contraception as soon as I could and then I saw it was for 15+.
She has been having periods since she was 11. She is a well developed girl.

Why is there an age minimum? What are the dangers of using emergency contraception at 13, just one time?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:45 pm

I am not aware of such a restriction by the FDA, so perhaps this is a manufacturer's recommendation. My understanding is that ACOG (American Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology) support the use of this drug for all ages. There are restrictions for selling this to girls under 17 that require a prescription in the USA but if an older person bought it, there would be no problem even if they shared it with a younger girl. Nobody is regulating beyond the purchase of it.

In a girl as young as 13 the rationale to have it by prescription is probably to examine her and inquire if there is a rape or other illegal activity going on for which she may need help and/or counseling. It is assumed that an older woman is more prepared to make decisions regarding her sexual activity but a child needs protection beyond the risk of pregnancy.