Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: tesing positive

raishima - Tue May 10, 2005 7:10 am

A couple of weeks ago i had taken zithromax, cipro, and fluconazole, i than took a drug test and my test came back positve for cocaine is this possible? if so what caused the test to come back positve. :roll:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 11, 2005 6:46 am

User avatar Hi raishima,
The medication Cipro is a quinolone antibiotic and may give a "false positive" for opiate use. To my knowledge the one antibiotic that may show a "false positive" for cocaine is Amoxicillin. Report to whomever was performing the test and tell them what medications were taken, they may want to repeat it.