Question: Can Zoloft make anxiety worse?

pennycandy1 - Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:32 pm

I was experiencing moderate, occasional anxiety, taking Xanax .25 as needed (once daily). My OB/Gyne started me on Zoloft 2 weeks ago and the anxiety has gotten much worse. Can a side effect of Zoloft be increased anxiety?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:27 pm

User avatar Pennycandy1,
Sertraline (Zoloft) may indeed cause agitation, anxiety and nervousness. It occurs in 1-10% of patients taking the antidepressant. Its to be noted that the use of zoloft in the treatment of anxiety disorder is investigational as far as I know. Its mainly used for the treatment of major depression, OCD, panic disorder and postraumatic stress disorder. Best to consult with a neurologist on this issue.

pennycandy1 - Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:54 pm

Thank you so much for the info. Will I have any problems if I stop the Zoloft abruptly?
This past week has been awful.
Again, thank you kindly for the quick reply.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:26 pm

User avatar Stopping abruptly is not a good idea. It can cause rebound symptoms leading to depression, more anxiety and insomnia. Best consult with your physcian on this preferrably and neuropsychiatrist.

My best wishes to you.