Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Can Zoloft make anxiety worse?

pennycandy1 - Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:32 pm

I was experiencing moderate, occasional anxiety, taking Xanax .25 as needed (once daily). My OB/Gyne started me on Zoloft 2 weeks ago and the anxiety has gotten much worse. Can a side effect of Zoloft be increased anxiety?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:27 pm

User avatar Pennycandy1,
Sertraline (Zoloft) may indeed cause agitation, anxiety and nervousness. It occurs in 1-10% of patients taking the antidepressant. Its to be noted that the use of zoloft in the treatment of anxiety disorder is investigational as far as I know. Its mainly used for the treatment of major depression, OCD, panic disorder and postraumatic stress disorder. Best to consult with a neurologist on this issue.

Best regards,
 pennycandy1 - Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:54 pm

Thank you so much for the info. Will I have any problems if I stop the Zoloft abruptly?
This past week has been awful.
Again, thank you kindly for the quick reply.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:26 pm

User avatar Stopping abruptly is not a good idea. It can cause rebound symptoms leading to depression, more anxiety and insomnia. Best consult with your physcian on this preferrably and neuropsychiatrist.

My best wishes to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us