Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Synthroid + Interactions with B12

Chocomaniac - Mon May 16, 2005 12:30 pm

Is it o.k. to take Synthroid & Vitamin B12? I've been told some meds counter each other out & wonder about this combination.

Also, exactly how should Synthroid be taken?? I've taken it for years with my coffee only to be told never, never do that. Started taking it with water when I first wake up (@ 4:30 am) then go back to sleep for 3 more hours. NOW I'm told I need to take it while I'm up & about.

Also, is it true never to take either of these meds with grapefruit juice?

I keep forgetting to ask when I'm at the docs & the instructions from the pharmacy say "take as prescribed by doctor".

Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:54 am

User avatar Hi Chocomaniac,
I am not aware of any documented literature regarding a contraindication in combined use of Synthroid and Vitamin B12. Synthroid should be taken with a full glass of water, during the same time each day. Although grapefruit juice should not be ingested with certain medications, to my knowledge, Synthroid or Vitamin B12 aren't medications included in those specific precautions.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 Chocomaniac - Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:31 am

Just a quick "thanks" for taking the time to post!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us