Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: allergic to paracetemol/acetaminophen

 nadimka - Sat May 21, 2005 3:09 am

I am allergic to paracetamol/acetaminophen. I get rashes all over my body when I take them. I am in the United states. I am from India and the drug that was prescribed to me was rofibax (Generic Vioxx) which is an NSAID(I do not know the medical composition) as an alternative and it works just fine. I wanted to know what the equivalent here in United states is? And are they over the counter medications. Could somebody please help me in this matter.
Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 21, 2005 5:35 am

User avatar Hi nadimka,
One of the over the counter medications that I can think of that's close to the molecular structure of Vioxx is Naproxen.
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sat May 21, 2005 2:41 pm

Beware of rofecoxib: it has been withdrawn in many countries, probably also from the US as there has been questions regarding its safety.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us