Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Topamax and Depression

siameke - Sat May 21, 2005 6:55 pm

I was started on Topamax (100 mg daily, titrated up slowly from 25 mg) to deal with chronic daily migraines about two months ago and I've been ridiculously emotionally labile over the past few weeks - crying for little/no reason, frustrated at nothing, and deeply depressed (I've dealt with a major depressive disorder and serious anxiety in the past) for little to no reason that I can ascertain. It's starting to seriously impinge on my relationships with friends and family and my life... I'm wondering if it's possible that Topamax might have something to do with it. I've looked it up but haven't found any research on whether it's correlated with psychiatric problems as well as cognitive - especially not at as low a dose as mine(fortunately my cognitive function is just fine). Not having migraines every day is a wonderful thing - I don't want to stop taking it if it's not going to make any difference to my affect - especially since it takes an entire month to titrate back up to an effective dosage. But if it is to blame for making me this miserable I want it out of my system... Any thoughts on whether it could be?

Thanks...
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 22, 2005 10:37 am

User avatar Hi siameke,
Some side effects of Topamax may be viewed with the following link. Some of the side effects may include changes in behavior, depression, nervousness, or agitation. Talk to your doctor about experiencing these symptoms.
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/topiram_ad.htm