Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: illegal drugs

curiousmind - Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:33 am

I am no expert on the matter, but would like info from those who might be. My question relates to the period of time after use that certain illegal drugs can be traced in someones system. Blood, urine or hair samples. Primarily concerned with ecstacy. Have heard only a few days, but would like some definitive answers.

Thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:25 pm

User avatar Ecstasy (party pill) is known as 3,4-METHYLENE-DIOXYMETAMPHETAMINE (“MDMA”). It can be traced in urine and blood. It is commonly sampled in urine and has a half life of 6-8hrs.
That would mean that there will be less than 1% remaining in your body at 72 hours.

However, this is only one step of the calculation as far as how long MDMA is detectable in urine. MDMA is metabolized into a variety of other molecules including HMMA, MDA, and HMA. Respectively these have half-lives of approximately 11, 25, and 37 hours. MDA triggers the standard Amphetamine urine test, while MDMA itself will trigger a Methamphetamine urine test. We don't have any information about whether HMMA or HMA metabolites will trigger the amphetamine/methamphetamine test in a urinalysis and whether the quantities present from MDMA metabolism are sufficient for such a trigger.

There are also many factors which go into determining how long a substances is detectable in urine. The specific metabolism of the person being tested, the amount and frequency used, the method of administration, fluid intake, amount of exercise, etc.

Traditional urine tests are somewhat unreliable at detecting MDMA use with an Amphetamine test, but there are several new test designs out which are supposed to be quite a bit more reliable.

At this point and to conclude this discussion it is believed that MDMA is detectable for approximately the same duration as Amphetamine/Methamphetamine (3 days average, up to 5 days with heavy frequent use), but there hasn't been conclusive data on this.
 curiousmind - Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:34 am

Thanks Tamer for your reply :D

What about blood tests or other methods of testing (if any) ?? Similar time period? Is there any other method of determining whether someone has taken these drugs i.e. permanent tell-tale internal damage or other lasting impacts on the body? And lastly, what about if these 'party pills' have other things in them aswell, such as cocaine, ketamine etc - still similar results?

Regards :lol:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:31 am

User avatar Curiousmind,
Party pills cause alot of internal damage especially to the brain; however, none of these complications are used to prove their prior intake. The only commercial method available for detection is the urine analysis according to my knowledge. If they contain other drugs then each drug would be detected seperately and each of these would have its own half life and method of analysis. However, i haven't heard of any such combination drugs.
 curiousmind - Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:53 pm

Thankyou for your reply :)

And blood tests... same time frame's? Is there any method available that can produce evidence of use after more than 1 week? Any method at all?

Many thanks for your help thus far.
:wink:
 Elaine Varnadoe - Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:18 am

I have an Employee that has tested positive for Methamphetamines, is there any way that there could have had a false positive. The Employee is taking multiple medications, Pannaz, Profenforte DM, Viravan DM, Clarinex, Alklgra, Nasonex, Singulair, Nasorel, Biaxin, Tricor, Lipitor,Cipro, and Cipro Hc Otic. Would these drug's have any affect on this test Thank You Elaine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us