Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Dilated eye

warren747 - Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:36 am

I had a small object in my right eye. I had heard that a warm tea bag resting on the eye would bring reliel. After tea, I grabbed a bottle of eye drops - oops . it was Isopto Hyoscine .25%, which is also calle Scopolamine My right eye has now been dilated for 4 days - is this still within the normal range of side effects? :roll:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:09 am

User avatar Dear Warren 747 :shock:
Isopto Hyoscine or scopolamine eye drops are used primarily by the doctor during an eye exam. There are other uses such as to treat certain eye conditions, including uveitis (inflammation of the uvea, or the central portion of the eye) and posterior synechiae (a potentially blinding eye disorder).
It relaxes the muscles that control the lens and pupil. This prevents the lens from focusing and widens the pupil to allow the doctor to view the interior structures of the eye. Its duration of action can last sometimes uptil one whole week. Ofcourse you must not drive during this period. Check with your doctor if you should experience pain in the eyes. He can also save you alot of trouble by giving you an antidote.