Question: Propecia vs. Generic Propecia

mjs16 - Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:51 pm

I was trying to find out if Generic Propecia is equivalent to regular Propecia. It is much, much cheaper but I don't want a poor product. Thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:01 pm

User avatar mjs,
There is no telling if the drug is better or worse. Theoretically they should be the same but that is usually not the case. The problem with generic drugs is that they don't go through the same rigorous testing by FDA as the original patented drug. The second problem is that the generic drug producer is not obligated to give full disclosure of testing and trail data regarding the copy drugs development. This allows the developers of the generic the opportunity to not report or hold back information that could require more intensive testing or slow the approval process by not reporting negative data to the federal investigators.

Regards,