Question: Do these meds mix?

jz23qt - Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:41 pm

I am curently taking Nexium 40 mg once a day, albuterol inhaler, and clarinex 5mg daily. I was recntly on amoxicillin for sinus infection and now i know i have a yeast infection. On the printout i got from the pharmacy on nexium it clearly state not to use antifungals. can i insert a cream for the yeast infection or is that not ok with the nexium?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:37 pm

User avatar Hi jz23qt,
The warning on the pharmacy printout was most likely stated because the absorption of certain drugs are affected the the acidity of the stomach. Since nexium decreases stomach acid it may also reduce the absorption of certain medications including antifungals. There should not be an effect either way by using the cream for your yeast infection.