Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Birth control pills

crazyskendall - Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:04 pm

umm I was wondering I accidently took 2 pills yesterday and missed one the day before and now I am experiencing bleeding. :roll: What should I do?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:35 pm

User avatar Missed contraceptive pills guidelines:

1. If less than 12 hours late taking the pill

take the pill as soon as you remember. Take the next pill at the usual time next day. Additional contraception is not required.

2. If more than 12 hours late taking the pill

if a patient is taking the combined oral contraceptive pill and is more than 12 or more hours late then the pill may not work. The patient should continue normal pill taking as soon as possible. Additional contraception (e.g. condom) will be needed for the next seven days. If less than 7 pills are left in the current packet (or if using everyday (ED) pills, less than 7 active pills) then start the next packet without a 7 day break (or if using ED pills, without taking the 7 inactive pills)

I think you should use additional contraception as well as continue your regular intake of pills if you are taking the combined form. If the bleeding continues you should consult your physician.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us