Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Any side effects from taking bcp's with herbs?

angelburn - Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:26 pm

Three weeks ago I began taking Ortho-Tricyclen 28. Several days later I began taking herbal breast enhancement pills containing Fenugreek, Wild Yam, Saw Palmetto, and Fennel Seed. I have been bleeding off and on for the last two weeks (but I'm not scheduled to start my period for 2 more days). Sometimes I could classify the bleeding as "spotting", but other times it has been quite heavy (with small clots). Is this bleeding normal ( I know spotting can occur when beginning bcp's) or could the herbal supplements I am taking be clashing with the bcp's somehow? Should I contact my regular gynocoligist? Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:49 am

User avatar Saw Palmeto should not be taken with OrthoTricyclen. THere is a drug interaction between them. I think you should inform your gynecologsit about the bleeding.

Regards,
 kce84 - Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:02 pm

i understand that you cannot put bcp's and st johns wort together, yet before i was taking the pill i was taking the herb for mood enhancement... i was just wondering what would happen if i took the two together (i do not plan on it however, this is strictly curiosity). thanks for your time.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us