Question: problem sleeping and Alegra d

jsf8278 - Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:27 am

I take Alegra D for allergies and especially for congestion. However, I am having problems sleeping and I am trying to alleviate everything that might inhabit my sleep. Do you have recommendations for night time decongestion that will not keep me up? Someone recommended Zyrtec d as a possible? Any help is greatly appreciated.
 nurodude - Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:39 pm

Take two benedryl tablets about one hour before bedtime. If they don't get you wired, you will have a wonderful sleep and be decongested at the same time.

Dr. C
 ssilve1 - Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:56 pm

The decongestant agent in Allegra-D, pseudoephedrine, could very well be keeping you up at night. While Benadryl may help with a runny nose and with helping you fall asleep, it will not help with your congestion. The only other safe agents for long-term use are nasal spray corticosteroids like Nasonex (there are others also). They are prescription only, so you'll need to talk to you Dr. If you decide to self-medicate and use an over-the-counter decogestant nasal spray, DON'T DO IT. These agents are meant for short term use (< 3 days) only since dependence on them occurs very quickly. If you do become dependent on them, your congestion becomes even worse if you try to stop using them. Good luck,

Dr. S, PharmD