Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: kynoselen?

Israa'il - Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:32 am

ive heard of this substance being used in france called kynoselen. it is being used to treat people who suffer from AIDS wasting. from what i have read it isnt a steroid. so how then can it be so powerful to prevent wasting from such a terrible disease? i know testosterone and other anabolic/androgenic steroids have been used in the past to prevent wasting in AIDS patients, so how does this stuff stack up against them? thanks for any and all info.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:41 am

User avatar Israa'il,
There is very little info on Kynoselen. Apparently Kynoselen (containing adenosine monophosphate also known as AMP) may have the potential to modulate parathyroid hormone receptors, this may ultimately inhibit osteoblast differentiation (at least in vitro). The info on humans is very limited. The only info i found was on commercial sites. It seems that it was originally a vet drug that prevents catabolism. However, I cannot confirm this. It is not approved in the US.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us