Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Oncology

Neo776 - Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:05 pm

After a long hard thinking time, I have decided to go for a career in medicine, specifically in Oncology/Neurology.

I have asked around my area and they have told me I have to get a GP qualification, or at least become a doctor first. I still have 2 years left of secondary education, and I need to know:

1. What marks will I have to obtain in Year 12 VCE? And in what areas?

2. After Secondary School, if I want to study medicine/specialist field, do I head over to University or somewhere else? Please answer this one in depth as the GP's I've asked weren't to clear about it.

3. How much years of study am I in for if I want to become a specialist (Oncology/Neurology)?

It might seem to everyone that I am a little young to want to become a doctor, as for most people when they are children want to become doctors as well, but I have my mind set on Oncology/Neurology. Family experiences and my father having a run-in with RCC have made me decide on my future. I also have backup plans just in case I fail at Oncology/Neurology, or even becoming a GP. I need all the information that I can get so I can strengthen my weaknesses to at least be ready.

I want to prepare not only for Year 12, but to ace it and hopefully fulfill my dream of having a career in medicine.

Angel C.

(Sorry if this has been posted before, I couldn't find anything similar to this)
Neo776 - Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:08 pm

^ Forgot to add I live in Victoria, Australia.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us