Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Oncology

Neo776 - Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:05 pm

After a long hard thinking time, I have decided to go for a career in medicine, specifically in Oncology/Neurology.

I have asked around my area and they have told me I have to get a GP qualification, or at least become a doctor first. I still have 2 years left of secondary education, and I need to know:

1. What marks will I have to obtain in Year 12 VCE? And in what areas?

2. After Secondary School, if I want to study medicine/specialist field, do I head over to University or somewhere else? Please answer this one in depth as the GP's I've asked weren't to clear about it.

3. How much years of study am I in for if I want to become a specialist (Oncology/Neurology)?

It might seem to everyone that I am a little young to want to become a doctor, as for most people when they are children want to become doctors as well, but I have my mind set on Oncology/Neurology. Family experiences and my father having a run-in with RCC have made me decide on my future. I also have backup plans just in case I fail at Oncology/Neurology, or even becoming a GP. I need all the information that I can get so I can strengthen my weaknesses to at least be ready.

I want to prepare not only for Year 12, but to ace it and hopefully fulfill my dream of having a career in medicine.

Regards,
Angel C.

(Sorry if this has been posted before, I couldn't find anything similar to this)
Neo776 - Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:08 pm

^ Forgot to add I live in Victoria, Australia.