Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Student Topics

Question: facial pain

medic3 - Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:54 am

hi all
I am new to this site and am looking for the specific medical term for facial pain. my pain specialist told me once and I have since forgotten but need to find out what the term is for some research I am doing. I am a paramedic but this is not a term frequently used in prehospital care. I have searched many internet sites to no avail !!!

if anyone knows the term I am looking for, please email me at ema3@canada. com thank you all in advacne for your help, it is muchly appreciated :wink:

medic3 (tanya)
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:47 pm

Dear Tanya,

Was it trigeminal neuralgia?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
medic3 - Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:01 pm

dr. mokhtar

thank you for your reply, unfortunately it is not the term. however, after thinking about it more, I feel I was somewhat vague with just 'facial pain', perhaps if I share more details someone will know the term I am looking for

the facial pain I am speaking off occurs when I have a migraine, my face is extremely sesitive, so much so that if anything touches my face, it causes immense pain. even the lightest touch with something soft can be excruiating. sometimes it feels as though my face is on fire when it is touched. the pain specialist I saw said for some people it can be like this even when they don't have a migraine, for others (like me) it occurs in conjunction with a migraine. the word I am looking for is the medical terminology for this condition

thank you in advacne for any help


ps dr. mokhtar, I have been a paramedic for almost 9 years and I would never attempt to 'practice' intubation, the advice you gave in february was right on. (I can only imagine how that girl will do in medical school or on the road as a paramedic !!)
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:53 am

Dear Tanya,

Is it "cephalalgia" or did it sound french like "tic doulereux"?

And regarding the intubation practice, there are models (dummies) to practice on but there is nothing like the real thing. Of course, it should never be practiced on alive healthy awake people without an indication for intubation.

One of the ways of practicing which is known is to practice on dead bodies and there are certain hospitals who have policies regarding this and they have to take the consent of the family of the deceased which allows the medical personel to practice such procedures. One of the ways to practice intubation is to go to the operating room but this is more of a controlled environment.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
medic3 - Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:14 am

I finally found the word I was looking for, I was at the pain specialist yesterday and I wrote it down so as not to forget. the word for the facial pain is 'allodynia' it is defined as 'a non painful stimuli that evokes pain' (not exactly word for word, sorry) another term he gave me was 'hyperalgesia' (I think that is it, can't read his writing, it is not very clear!!!) it is increased skin sensitivity to touch

if anyone has any further info or comments, feel free to email or post

thanks for your help


Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us