The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: What's wrong, what's wrong!

Mariette - Thu May 06, 2004 11:26 am

Hi...

In the last month or so, my boyfriend has been for a few tests to determine the reason why he started having difficulty swallowing. Yesterday, he did two tests and told me over the phone that he hoped I would never have to go through it.
Now, surprise surprise, today on the bus to work my throat started feeling funny. It may be psychosomatic (is that the word?), but it's not my imagination.
When I swallow, I feel something lifting in the back of my throat and making a kind of clicking noise. I also find that swallowing is a bit more difficult than usual. My throat feels slightly swollen, and I feel the need for continuous swallowing.
What's wrong with me? I also have a lot of stress at work and at home, and obviously I worried about my boyfriend yesterday.

Please tell me it's all just my imagination and it will go away when I forget about it?

Mariette :(
Dr. Russell M - Thu May 27, 2004 4:53 am

Hi!

Probably, it just might not be your imagination, and you could be suffering from the 'dreaded' disease called sore throat (pun), whose best cure may be frequent gargle with warm saline (water saturated with common salt) !

Do write in if your problems haven't resolved.

bill
Mariette - Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:07 am

Ok, I'm still suffering from the problem. When I swallow, it feels as if there is a huge obstruction in the throat, like a ball? My throat doens't hurt and it doesn't hurt when I swallow. Even when I don't swallow, it still feels like pressure on my throat from the front, as if someone is putting gentle pressure on my throat from the front.
It's the same whether I swallow water or bread or anything, no difference.
It's about a month now.
Someone told me to give it 2 months, so I'm giving it another month now.
Would hate to have to go for barium swallow and especially the tests following on that one. I think it may be this fear that keeps the swallowing problem from going away - all in my mind...
Suffer from a lot of stress and recently also Heartburn, which may be related to the swallowing problem, but hopefully isn't.
I still hope it's all in my mind, given the timing when it started.
Dr. Russell M - Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:20 pm

Hi!

Am sorry that you're back here with your problems. Perhaps, a better understanding should help regarding the same, especially, since you have mind over matter on this one.

Read the following link to understand what may be behind your throat:

Click here!

Hope this helps,

bill