The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: visable epiglottis---please answer--- soft palette too now

pottyglotty - Wed May 12, 2004 11:23 pm

PLEASE someone please answer this. I am getting so worried and now even more things are happening. please read my previous thread "visual to the naked eye- epiglottis" for background. Along with all those symptoms of something very freaky, also I have discovered the roof of my mouth is completly white. it is not sore at all. around 2 years ago I had a very bad problem with dental problems. I am wondering if the white roof is anything to do with my other freaky thing-epiglottis. I am so worried about this. daily life and eating is becoming unbearable and my doc has referred me to a 17 week waitin list. things are getting worsse daily, and still I havent a clue as to why?

If anyone can offer even the tiniest shred of advice or info for me I would be extremely grateful

thanks in advance
Dr. Russell M - Mon May 31, 2004 5:17 pm

Hi!

I remember responding to you once. From your description, you seem to be having oral thrush, but I cannot be sure. Fungal infection, usually candida, causes white membranes over the mucosa of the oral cavity and pharynx. Perhaps an esophagitis could have been the problem all along.

You will need to consult your doctor to get yourself examined to determine what really is behind all this. Meanwhile, you may get symptomatic relief using gargles like cetacaine/lidocaine if there is pain on swallowing.

Hope this helps.

bill