Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Eye transplant

sirsamuel - Thu May 27, 2004 5:36 am

Ok this question is in reference to my sister. My sister had a severe injusry to the eye and she lost her vision permanently, does an eye transplant involves the changing of an injured eye to a healthy eye. can u Please enlighten me on this subject.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 27, 2004 8:53 am

sirsameul,
Eye transplantation is more correctly referred to as corneal transplantation, a procedure that involves exchanging the cornea of a damaged or diseased eye with the healthy cornea of a recently deceased donor.
The cornea is the eye's outermost layer. It is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of the eye. The cornea must remain transparent to refract light properly so that we are able to see.
A corneal transplant can help someone who has greatly reduced vision as a result of injury, disease or infection of the cornea.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us