Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Eye transplant

sirsamuel - Thu May 27, 2004 5:36 am

Ok this question is in reference to my sister. My sister had a severe injusry to the eye and she lost her vision permanently, does an eye transplant involves the changing of an injured eye to a healthy eye. can u Please enlighten me on this subject.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 27, 2004 8:53 am

sirsameul,
Eye transplantation is more correctly referred to as corneal transplantation, a procedure that involves exchanging the cornea of a damaged or diseased eye with the healthy cornea of a recently deceased donor.
The cornea is the eye's outermost layer. It is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of the eye. The cornea must remain transparent to refract light properly so that we are able to see.
A corneal transplant can help someone who has greatly reduced vision as a result of injury, disease or infection of the cornea.