Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: xenical and crohns..

nikki5 - Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:31 am

hi there, just wondering..is there any reason why a person with inactive crohns disease shouldnt take xenical?

thanks :)
Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Hi nikki5,
Taking into consideration that Crohn's disease is an inflammatory bowel disorder and even though you are not currently experiencing symptoms, flare up's from this disorder alone may include Diarrhea and Abdominal pain. Xenical may cause side effects of increased bowel movements, gas, abdominal discomfort etc. The use of this medication may exacerbate symptoms of Crohns disease and cause a flare up of symptoms.
nikki5 - Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:37 pm

thanks theresa :)
nikki5 - Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:43 pm

actually, theresa.. another question, ive actually been taking xenical for a year, on the box it says safe for 2 years then after that they don't know, but b'cos im at my healthy weight I went to stop taking it, and found myself constipated, so I continue to take it.. can this happen with xenical that u no of? it doesnt say on the box.. but continuing it seems to fix the prob, I have a low fat diet but it stil seems to work in makin me go.. any ideas?
Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi nikki5,
Taking into consideration that xenical may cause episodes of Diarrhea it stands to reason that when you stop taking it that the opposite (constipation) may result. Have you tried increasing your daily fiber intake including recommended amounts of fluids (water)? This may help alleviate the problem.