The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Denal care before stemcell transplant:

jypsy_rose_lee - Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:47 pm

I am due to have a stemcell transplant. I am in between dentists right now, so my new oncoligist sent me to an oral surgaen who works in their building. I told him I wasn't having any problems with my teeth. The surgean took xrays of my teeth and told me that 18 that had decay plus my good ones had to come out. I told him I do not want them takin out at all!He said if I didn't I couldn't have my autologous transplant using my own stemcells. The surgean hasn't even consulted my stemcell doctor about this, he just kept telling me they have to come out or no transplant. I feel backed up against the wall. I called the stemcell transplant floor at the hospital that I am having the transplant done at and they said that they keep pateints on around the clock Antibiotics and other antimicrobial drugs. I have had quite a bit if work done to my teeth awhile back. My teeth aren't lose or falling out. He isn't in the bussiness to repair teeth only maxifacial surgery and remove teeth. I'm wondering if this may have something to do with why he wants to just pull them all out. I'v talked to others who have had transplants and they said that they still have their teeth and they were pretty bad during transplant. Thank you for any information or advice.
Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:25 am

Hi jypsy_rose_lee,
Optimal periodontal health prior to your stem cell transplant is very important in eliminating possible sources of dental infection. However, I would strongly encourage you to contact the physician whom is going to be performing the transplant and request an evaluation by another dental specialist.
jypsy_rose_lee - Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:05 am

Dear Theresa,
Thank you for your response, I am looking to find another dentist.
Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:08 am

Hi jypsy_rose_lee,
Our best wishes and I hope you will consider posting an update when your time permits.