The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ruptured Ear Drum

guest51 - Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:47 am

Could you tell if a ruptured ear drum could cause an elevation of my wbc and platelet count? I've had elevated labs for the past year and the only thing wrong is this ruptured eardrum, I've lost hearing and I do have some fluid in the ear but there's no pain. My wbc has stayed between 14 and 15 and my platelet count runs around 466. I've also had an elevated absolute neutrophils 10339.
Thank you in advance.
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:01 am

Hi guest51,
A perforated eardrum related to an infectious process may initially elevated WBC's. However, since this is not a recent but rather a longstanding problem I would strongly suggest an evaluation by a Hematologist to identify if an underlying disorder is present.
thebaymafia - Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:44 pm

I also have a question but for some reason there is now button for me to add a new topic so here is my question.

last night my sister slapped me hard in my left ear now my hearing out of that ear is very low. it is very annoying can this be fixed? im sure you cant answer it unless you were able to look in it...its been about 10 or so hours and its still the same what do you think happened?
a_medico - Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:36 pm

Raised wbc count - @guest51

Probably due to Otitis media (middle ear infection)

Ruptured ear drum and fluid are the factors highly in its favor.

Also remember - The pathology seems to be in the middle ear. If at all it spreads, the nearest structures are

Internal Ear (more inside)
and
Brain (above)

A visit to ENT specialist would help. A course of appropriate Antibiotics and corrective surgery, if needed can help.

Ear Trauma :- @thebaymafia

The trauma could have produced loss of hearing(conduction deafness) due to :-

1) Just a swelling (edema)

OR

2) Injury -

a) Ear drum rupture
b) Ear drum rupture + injury to ossicles (small bones related to hearing)

Either case requires an ear examination by a doctor as early as possible.