Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: gray/blueish growth on gums

zena21 - Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:25 am

Just like about 2 days a go, I realized when brushing my teeth, I had a slight growth on my gums, at the back of my mouth, in the spaces between where the cheeks meet the teeth, I don't have the same thing on the other side, and today I tried to have a look in the mirror and it was greyish/blue. it is not painful, and its not hard mass, its soft. Im not sure what this is, but I scheduled my appointment with my dentist and its not until the 9th of may. I was wondering if a nurse or a Doctor look in to this and let me know if I need to see someone right away.
Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 am

Hi zena21,
Aside from bleeding gums when brushing your teeth, another sign of peridontal disease is soft, bluish discolorations noticed on the gums. I would strongly suggest that you keep your dental appointment so that the cause of the discoloration can be identified.
Theresa Jones, RN
johnhelp - Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:10 am

25, male healthy
Ok here the Question I have a grown on both my cheeks on the same spot in my mouth. one seem to be a lil swollen and tender right now. just want to know is this normal and when I open my cheeks wide to see them they kinda move like fingers are something to that affect. just want your take on it
thanks. hope Im not a alien LOL ps that one is really sore
Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:20 am

What you may be seeing is the opening of your parotid salivary gland into your mouth. There is one on each side and are generally located about half way back on the cheek just above the middle.

When you are at your dentist or doctor have them take a look. They should be able to tell you for sure.

Hope this helps.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us