Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Severe Allergies and Sinus problems

nauticaboo - Mon May 01, 2006 12:38 pm

I am a 23 y/o female, and I've had allergies and sinus problems all my life, but now they are getting uncontrollable. My allergy problems affect me year round, and I have one or two sinus infections a year. As far as I know I'm allergic to everything (dust, pollen, mold, grass, pet dander, etc.).

Up until about a year ago, the only thing that would really provide any relief from my symptoms was 24 hr Claritin D (tried Allegra, Zyrtec, OTC), and Nasonex nasal spray. Back in October of last year I went to the doctor with a severe Headache that I had never experienced before (worse than sinus infection Headache). At the time the doctor gave me a prescription for guafinex/pse, and it worked. A couple weeks later, I was back and diagnosed with allergy related conjunctivitis, and I was told to take Clairitin until the first frost and things would clear up.

To make a long story short, I did what the doctor said and although the conjunctivitis cleared up, my allergy (itchy/dry eyes, and throat, runny nose, sneezing) symptoms seem to be getting worse. I don't know how common it is, but although my nose is stuffy and I can't breathe out of it, it's runny also. Most of the time it's one nostril at a time. If I try to blow my nose, my sinuses close up, making it even harder for me to breathe. At night, I have to make little balls of toilet paper to stick in my nose to keep my sinuses open, and to catch the runs from my nose so I can get a few hours of sleep. It has gotten so bad and even though I know I shouldn't, I've been taking Claritin D and Sudafed (total of 240 mg pseudophedrine) in order to try to clear my sinuses, and it is still not working.

I was just wondering what are my alternatives? Should I try allergy shots, and if so, willl they help with my sinus problems? Right now, the allergy symptoms I can deal with, but the severe congestion is really affecting me. Thanks for any help.
Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 09, 2006 11:53 am

Hi nauticaboo,
Allergy shots may provide relief with episodes. Has anyone mentioned to you anything about normal saline nasal irrigations for your sinus problems? This may not only provide relief of your symptoms but may also inhibit recurrences. I would strongly suggest that you inquire about this with your physician.
rjshprabhakar - Wed May 24, 2006 12:24 pm

Hi nauticaboo,
you continue with antihistaminics and systemic decongestants like a combination of levocetrizine and pseudoephedrine or fexofenidine with pseudoephedrine. you can also take daily tablet of monteleukast. you must take steroid nasal sprays for a month like fluticasone [flomist] spray morning and evening or a combination of fluticasone and azelastine nasal spray. try taking weekly subcutaneous injection of histaglobins after consultation with ENT doctor.
yours sincerely
DR PRABHAKAR