Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Nosebleeds after delivery (severe)

jodster - Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:43 pm

My son was born 14 months ago and I must say the whole birth etcetc was not very fun. After 24 hours of labour, 2 epiderals, vacuum, forceps, and finaly emerg csection he was born healthy and strong. The day after he was born I started bleeding severely from my nose and my mouth. The nurses would rush me up to Er where they would put liquid cocaine and adrenaline up my nose and then cauterize but it didn't help as this hapenned 2-3 times a day for about 5 more days. The nurses and doctors ere puzzled saying they had never seen this before which was very discomfortiung. Anyhow, I refused a blood transfusion and finally a specialist was able to control the bleeding by a 48 hour pack etcetc. Anyhow, I left hospital 9 days later weak and frail of course. It took me 3 months to recover and in that time I suffered from post partum as well as being diagnosed with ptsd and a Panic disorder. I started losing all the feeling in my left side and had to undergo 3 months of testing for ms, Strokes etcetc. Finally all came back negative and my symptoms started to subside and the docs told me that it might not be wise to do this again!!! Anyhow, here I am again, and I am 6 months pregnant and due to deliver in September by a planned csection this time. My question, and I'm sorry about all the history is if anyone has ever heard of these nosebleeds after delivery and what could have caused them . I did not do alot of pushing, maybe for an hour on and off, but my son wasn't coming out so other methods were tried. They di not say that my blood pressure was low after, and my platelets wre fine but they still don't know what caused them. I am trying to eliminate whatever it could be, epideral??anasetic? etc etc becuse I am petrified of going through it again. I spent what was supposed to be the happiest days of my life fearing that I was going to die and I can feel myself getting all panicked again at the thought of another episode like the first. Any advice would be so graetly appreciated. Thank you so much. Jody[/b]
Dr. Russell M - Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:14 am

Hi!

Would you be able to provide us with your workup results and investigation reports?

bill
jodster - Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:44 am

Helo Bill.... I haev no info on any workup reports or anything similar. While this was occuring in the hospital my ob said that they were testing my platelets, Hemoglobin, etc daily and all was coming back normal except that I was in need of a transfusion from loss of blood from nosebleeds which I declined. AS for the tests after my release, they were mri's for M. S, etc, and they came back negative, as well as the cat scans for Stroke, etc. That is teh only results I was ever given , I hope that I have been a bit helpful in responding and that you may have some answers for me. Thank you very much.
Dr. Russell M - Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:24 pm

Hi!

I regret to say that I don't have any answers per se for what happened to you. Baffling as it is, I was wondering if you could ask your hospital to release your health records, thereby enabling you to provide us with the tests done and the results. Was peripheral smear done?

bill