Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: underweight

blitz - Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:53 pm

im a few pounds underweight I really would like to gain a few pounds but im having difficulty I just can't seem to gain weight is there a healthy way I can do this thats effective??? I don't want to gain weight by eating lots of fatty foods and junk... I was also wondering what I can do or take to boost my immune system?
Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi blitz,
There are nutritional supplements, ie., health shakes, ensure, etc., that provides additional caloric intake and are balanced in essential protein, vitamins, etc. A multivitamin, when the diet is inadequate, will assist in recommended requirements, as this of course is important in a healthy immune system. As always, before taking supplements, etc., check with your physician and pharmacist for recommendations.
mad-rocker - Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:52 am

I hope you don't mind me posting under this, but I'm unable to start a new topic (I think).

I'm a 23 year old female and I weigh just under 6st. My height is a tiny 5ft. I've been depressed since I was a teenager and I've been taking Antidepressants for a few months now. I don't know if it's the Depression causing my weight problems, but it's getting me down and making me really self conscious. I had a blood test a few years ago because my doctor was concerned, but they came back fine. Also, my sleeping pattern is messed up. I sleep all day and I'm awake all night. I really don't like the way I am at the moment!

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.
Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:39 am

Hi mad-rocker,
If your weight is just under 6 stone (approx 80 lbs. if I'm correct) then you are very petite indeed. Regarding your sleep pattern, did it become altered after you began the Antidepressant medication? If so and you are taking the medication in the morning, you may want to change it to night time or vise versa. Depression may induce a lack of appetite, or increase appetite causing one to be underweight/malnourished, or the opposite, overweight as each persons reaction is a little different. One of the best things anyone can do for themselves whom are suffering from Depression is exercise, I. e., walking. This increases chemicals in the brain that reduce depressive episodes. I have the impression that you skip many meals and are essentially anorexic. I would encourage you to seek out a dietitian/nutritionist for a healthy meal plan to assist you with an increased healthy weight. I would also suggest that you discuss with your physician/mental health professional regarding the effectiveness of lack of, Antidepressants to see what other options are available. Now for my opinion, each are put on this earth for a purpose and reason. None of us know how long or short of time this may be. We are granted a celebration of living, make the most of it, make a difference. Best wishes.
mad-rocker - Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:46 pm

Thank you for your reply!

My sleeping pattern has always been all over the place. When I was at college, I was ok because I had to be up early. However, when I started again in September, I lost all motivation and I quit college just before Christmas.

I do skip meals, but sometimes it's because I don't have an appetite or when I do have a meal, I leave most of it because I feel full up very quickly.

I'm seeing my doctor again on Thursday for the Depression, so I will follow your advice and discuss with him about seeing a dietician.

Thank you again! I'm finding it really scary!
RaeKathrein - Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:38 am

I am 26 years of age, 4'11 and 93-95 pounds perfectly healthy with no medications and no serious family history of problems...I originally most of my life was at 115-120 pounds until 2 years ago when I went up to 140 after pregnancy ( I miscarried however) and I decided to lose weight just a year ago...to my suprise I dropped down to 90 pounds but noticed my figure that was 38d cup size is no longer there!!! I also was told but several physicians and family friends that I should gain some weight back, perhaps 10-20 pounds to have a more healthy appearance and to gain back a figure but I was wondering if I will gain my chest back? Please do not take this the wrong way, but this is a real concern for me. I want to be slim but still have a figure I can be proud of! At 115 pounds a thought I looked a bit chubby ( I did not have a smooth, toned looking stomach) and since I have scoiloisis, I am afraid it will be hard to get a toned look since I cannt do traditional sit-ups. How long should this process take place?Thanks for all of your help. All I want to do is be happy about the way I look and still be healthy.