Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Sinus CT Results

Poda - Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Can anyone with experience with sinus problems tell me the significance of these results? It will be a month or so till I see my doctor again.

1. There are patent ostiomeatal complexes.
2. Mucoperiosteal thickening at the base of the left maxillary antrum is seen on the axial images, with signs of a posterior, possibly superior mucous retention cyst in the left maxillary antrum.
3. No air-fluid levels are seen.
4. 20% mid-ethmoidal sinus opacification is evident.
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Keeping in mind that the direct visualization of the films is essential for proper conclusion, these sentences in general suggest that there are chronic inflammatory changes in the sinuses due to recurrent sinusitis and inflammation.

The radiological assessment in any condition gives a suggestion for possible cause, together with other clinical data including the clinical picture(especially the complaint and the examination results), the possible diagnosis is reached since there is always a list of differential diagnosis.

Keep us updated.