Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Raised eye pressure-loss of vision

dooper - Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:14 pm

A friend of mine is male, aged early 60's. He is generally fit and very active. Many years ago he had a motorbike accident and as far as I can gather, he injured his eye and had to have a false lens inserted? Anyway he has been fine since then excpet that in recent years he noticed a gradual decline in his quality of vision in this eye. Further investigation reveals that he has raised intra ocular pressure. His physician has been prescribing eye drops for some time now but the problem continues and he describes what seems to be a gradual loss of vison, like a shdaow, which is closing in from the periphery of his vision. I have urged him to seek a second opinion as I feel that he is worsening and yet perhaps nothing will be done until it is too late to save whatever sight he has left..any feedback appreciated.
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:05 pm

Dear dooper,

I think you are right. If your friend is getting worse even though he is taking his eye drops on regular basis, I think he needs to ask his doctor to change his medications, or seek a second opinion. Loss of vision from glaucoma (increased intracranial pressure) in most cases, should be preventable.

I am not an ophthalmologist but I think that there are types of glaucoma that are treated with surgery.

I think you should urge your friend to talk to his doctor about other options or seek a second opinion.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us