Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Unbearable Sinus Problems

Kalter - Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:53 pm

Hello!

I am a 14 year old female, and as of lately, I've been feeling unbearably terrible.

For the last two years, I've had trouble with frequent sinus infections and "vasomotor rhinitis," as described by my doctor. In October, I was put on three consecutive Antibiotics for a double ear infection and a sinus infection, since it just wouldn't clear up!

However, after a second round of my third Antibiotic, my doctor said the infection had cleared up. I never felt any different, though. And now, five months later, I still feel terribly sick.

My nose is constantly stuffy. When I wipe my nose in the morning, I notice that a lot of green mucus is sitting in there. Most of the time, though, it's white when I blow it.

My face is under a lot of pressure all the time. It feels like all of that mucus is crammed into the very back of my nose. I have a lot of Headaches, and I'm drowsy to the point where I can barely function anymore.

And, as of two months ago, I've developed a strange lump in my throat. I feel sick whenever I try to swallow, and I have to spit into kleenex a lot. I feel like there's a bunch of stuff sitting at the top of my throat, strangling me. I've thrown up because of it, and I always have bad breath. Why?

I went to an ENT a year and a half ago, and I had a CT of my sinuses. It came out fine. But a year and a half ago, I wasn't feeling so nasty. Should I go back to the ENT?

I've also seen the allergist, and gotten tested. I'm not even allergic to anything! Not pollen, not dogs, not dust mites. Nothing. I was put on Rhinocort nose spray and Zyrtec, which never noticably helped the problem. I also do an over-the-counter product called 'NeilMed Sinus Rinse.' It helps short term, but after an hour, the sinus pressure comes back.

On my bad days, I noticed that I can barely get SInus Rinse or the nose spray in my nose in the first place. It feels like there's some sort of wall there.

The ENT pointed out that I had a deviated septum when I last went, but he said it wasn't bad, so it's nothing to worry about.

I'm so confused. Nobody knows what to do, and I don't even want to go to school anymore because of it. I already have a severe Anxiety problem, and this sickness makes me feel even more racey.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:38 pm

Stuffed nose causes can be identified when other symptoms exist.

Common causes of chronic stuffy nose include:
- Allergic rhinitis: there is sneezing, nasal discharge, or blocked nose (excluded)
- Chronic sinusitis: there is nasal discharge which is usually dark and of bad odor, sneezing, runny (you have)
- Adenoid conditions there is mainly blocked nose and nasal discharge
- Adenoiditis nasal discharge may be of bad odor
- Vasomotor rhinitis sneezing, , profuse watery nasal discharge, recurrent inflammation
- Nasal polyp causes :dysphonia, nasal discharge, and anosmia
- A deviated nasal septum results in chronic sinusitis.

All causes that result in chronic irritation of the nasal mucosa can produce bloody mixed discharge due to mucosa damage.

If all conservative measures fail to prevent recurrent sinusitis and Stuffed nose, surgery may be needed either to drain the sinuses or to repair the deviated septum or nasal obstruction.

CT scan of the sinus gives a good idea about the current situation , so your Doctor may recommend a new CT if your condition is worsening.

Hope you find this information useful.
Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Keep us updated.