Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: lymph node & more

brandonnva - Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:12 pm

on february 26th (monday) I had gone to the EMD due to an allergic reaction, the doctor had believed it was from the new detergent I had washed my clothing with. he has prescribed me prednison (20mg/2 tabs a day for 3 days) which kept the reaction down. However now I am off of it I have noticed myself getting the reactions but less sever over again. about 4 days before this ordeal I had noticed swollen Lymph nodes in my neck area. 1 stuck out that is behind me ear, it was slightly tender while swelling. now it is rather hard and in place, the swelling has not reduced and it is immovable. I have been constantly exhausted, I take 2-3 naps a day ranging from 2-4 hours. I have been getting Headaches,my face occasionly becomes hot and slightly red, it feels as if I have something in my throat but I know I do not. ive had no recent surgery , I have a family history of heart disease , mother was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer. does anyone have a clue why I am having these complications?
Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:25 pm

There are a few possible causes that I can think of. One possibility is that you indeed did react to the detergent and it is taking a little while to clear your system. Occasionally allergic reactions such as this can persist for several days of mild symptoms.

Also, given your swollen Lymph nodes, you may have had a viral infection. Some viruses can causes hives and allergic "appearing" rashes.

I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor for reevaluation if your symptoms persist or worsen.

Hope this helps.
brandonnva - Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:41 pm

well, doctor says I am stil having the reaction to an un-known substance, he put me on prednisone again, also hydroxyzine pam. I have an appointment with an allergist tuesday. he also believes I am anemic , had gotten a blood test on tuesday, hoping to get the results today/will keep further posted

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us