Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Whats the latest in surgery for hearing?Nerve damage?

mamaflower55 - Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:43 am

Hello

I was wondering if there was any surgery for imporved hearing? My am about 50% deaf as of the last time I went to a doctor about 15 years ago. They said I was most likey tone deaf or have nerve damage and I was wondering with todays technology if there was anything I could do. When I wear my hearing AIDS my balance is extremely off. it makes it difficult to move around because I get the feeling that I will fall over? Is this common? Thanks in advance Lisa
Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:49 am

There may be some treatments for your hearing issues. The treatments will depend on exactly what is causing your hearing loss. For example, if you have only bone problems with no nerve problems, the surgeons may be able to help fix this problem.

Cochlear implants are relatively new and are a possible treatment for those that don't have nerve hearing problems. The implant bypasses the damaged part of the ear and directly stimulates the cochlea to transmit sound.

I'm a little uncertain as to why your hearing AIDS would be causing you to have balance problems. I would recommend you discuss this with your audiologist.

You may also wish to see an Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) specialist to see if you qualify for any new treatments for hearing loss.