Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Somethings not quite right

robp - Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:56 pm

I have had a sinus infection for the past week, no big deal happens from time to time. This morning however I work up to an unbelievable sore throat around the glandular area of my jaw, and was spitting up big globs of blood.

I went to the ER. The dr comes in I explain the details, he looks down my throat and says I have tonsilitis. Gives me a Rx for pain relief and for Antibiotics.

Now at this point I had spent a total of 3 minutes being examined by the DR. I asked what to do about the blood his reply was "spit it out" At this point I ask myself why I needed a Dr to tell me that, it sure doesn't taste good and I wasn't gonna swollow it.

So once I get to the Pharmacy, I find that the Antibiotics he prescribed to me contained Penecilian, to which I am allergic, and informed no less than 3 members of the ER staff of this, and had made sure to ask the nurse after she handed me the Rx's. After a call to the ER the pharmacy got me a suitible replacement medication.

Got home about 8:45 am and went back to bed. Woke up about noon and I am still spitting up these globs of blood. I feel I should be concerned with this, as it doesn't seem to be normal. I called the DR and he suggested I gargle with salt water. Does this seem right?
Casey - Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:44 pm

Hi Robp,

My boyfriend and I had tonsilitis at the same time last year. I had mono previous to getting tonsilitis and had no symptoms like you are having. However, my boyfriend did. He had never had sore throats or anythng really prior to getting tonsilitis. His was so bad that he had to get them removed a couple weeks after he was diagnosed. He was spitting up blood also and the doctor told him to rinse with salt water also. He had to go back several times before they ever did anything about it. I would say the blood part is not abnormal, they said it's common once he went into have them removed. He was also very tired.