The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Help!!! Throat Ulcers and Tonsil Stones

nlh4msu - Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:17 am

Hi there. I have been suffering with ulcers on the back of my throat for 18 years. I have been to numerous ENTs and other MDS with various treatments. Recently I have been under the care of a hem/onc for what he diagnosed as Igg subclass 3 defiency. I have had 6 treatments of Gamma Globulin which has decreased the frequency of outbreaks. I have been tested for everything under the sun and the only abnormality is IGG subclass 3. The problem I am having now is with tonsil stones. I am wondering if there is any correlation between the ulcers and tonsil stones. Do you know that if having a tonsillectomy would cure the ulcers? About 1/2 of the MDS I have seen suggested that I get my tonsils out. It seems that the ulcers are worse when I have the tonsil stones!!! PLEASE HELP!!!![ :roll: [/b]
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:28 am

Tonsil stones are known as tonsil calculi. They may be the result of food particles getting jammed in the tonsils and then being surrounded by bacteriae. Most people with calculi of the tonsils have no associated symptoms. For some people, however, the calculi can be quite bothersome, causing a constant foreign-body sensation, a chronic low-grade sore throat, recurrent episodes of tonsillitis persisting beyond childhood, or chronic bad breath.

Treatment consists of either removing the tonsils or removing the calculi. I think in particular it may prove helpful in your case. At the least it will remove a possible source of infection in the throat.

Regards,
katem20blue - Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:48 pm

It sounds like I have a similar problem although I have had my tonsils out. I have a small spot on the back of my throat but it comes and goes, it is not painful just really anoying as I can feel it with the back of my tounge and it feels weird when I eat, it is situated on the left side of the ridge in the back of my mouth and always re-appears in exactly the same place, it seems to get bigger and smaller and sometimes will go away for a week or so and then come back, everytime I go to the doctors it has gone down!
any ideas? :(