Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: soreness under my top lip for about 2 days

shaz29 - Mon May 07, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi I will try to describe this as best as I can, I have been experiencing some soreness under my top lip for about 2 days, I looked under my lip and it was red in the middle, if you stretch your top lip outwards the bit in the centre that is attached to the gum is sore and theres a bit of reddish growth on it, a little like an ulcer, I am scared that it could be mouth cancer, im 32 years old and don't smoke... is this possible? I have been using bonjela on it but it hasnt made any difference, the growth isnt very big, its like a tiny lump or boil.. I hope I have explained it well enough.

Shazad
Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 07, 2007 9:11 pm

Most likely you have a viral infection causing a little inflammation in your mouth. Many of the enteroviruses that are starting to appear during this season can do this.

Cancer is much less likely.

If it isn't getting better in the next few days you should have it checked out.
shaz29 - Mon May 07, 2007 10:36 pm

Thanks doctor, I hope you are right

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us