Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: soreness under my top lip for about 2 days

shaz29 - Mon May 07, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi I will try to describe this as best as I can, I have been experiencing some soreness under my top lip for about 2 days, I looked under my lip and it was red in the middle, if you stretch your top lip outwards the bit in the centre that is attached to the gum is sore and theres a bit of reddish growth on it, a little like an ulcer, I am scared that it could be mouth cancer, im 32 years old and don't smoke... is this possible? I have been using bonjela on it but it hasnt made any difference, the growth isnt very big, its like a tiny lump or boil.. I hope I have explained it well enough.

Shazad
Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 07, 2007 9:11 pm

Most likely you have a viral infection causing a little inflammation in your mouth. Many of the enteroviruses that are starting to appear during this season can do this.

Cancer is much less likely.

If it isn't getting better in the next few days you should have it checked out.
shaz29 - Mon May 07, 2007 10:36 pm

Thanks doctor, I hope you are right