Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Swelling under chin

ceciliahi - Sat May 12, 2007 4:43 am

I am a 24 year old female with a large swelling under my chin and jaw on the right side. I am having three teeth removed in 10 days, because of 2 painful wisdom teeth, and one decaying tooth that has been broken because of the pressure. It started as a small lump, and over the past week or so, has grown and become more tender. It is very sore, and now affecting eating. I have been taking penicillin for a week now, as well as rinsing with warm salt water. Should I just wait until the oral surgery, or do something now? Is there any way to get the swelling down?
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 17, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi ceciliahi,
Have you notified the oral surgeon regarding the increased swelling? If you have not I would strongly suggest that you do so. He/she may want to change you Antibiotic regimen.